What Makes a Good Mask
How to Wear Your Mask
- Make sure you mask:
- Fits tightly and securely against your face
- Covers both your nose and mouth at all times
- Does not slide up and down your face when speaking
- Check for leakage by placing both hands over the mask and exhale. If you feel leakage, adjust as necessary.
- When removing your mask, handle the straps. Do not touch the front of your mask to prevent contamination.
How to Care for Your Mask
- N95 masks can be reused up to 5 times with proper care (or 40 hours with proper care).
- Store in a clean paper bag between uses to dry out. Allow a minimum of 5 days between uses.
- Create a daily rotation of masks to allow drying time and note how many uses on the paper bag (1, 2, 3, etc.). Example:
- Monday Mask – 1 (times used already)
- Tuesday Mask – 2 (times used already)
- Wednesday Mask – 3 (times used already)
- Always discard masks after 5th use or when dirty or damaged
Last Updated February 4, 2022