Study Abroad

Study Abroad Programs Through Bellevue College and Washington State Community Colleges Consortium for Study Abroad (WSCCCSA)

Check out the details of all BC offered Study Abroad programs.

Other Student Resources for Studying Abroad

The German Academic Exchange Service offers awards and scholarships to study in Germany. There are a number of exchange programs available between Germany and the U.S. Studying abroad in Germany or other German-speaking countries will benefit business and science majors as well as anyone looking to expand their knowledge of German culture, art, and language.

Please follow this link for more information about scholarships and programs:

The Gilman Scholarship Program, sponsored by the State Department, is an undergraduate grant program for students who need financial assistance to study or intern abroad. The program is open to U.S. citizens who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university.

Please follow this link for more information and to apply online:

The Fulbright U.S. Student Program offers fellowships for one academic year to U.S. graduating college seniors, graduate students, early-career professionals, and artists. Program participants pursue graduate or professional study, advanced research, or English teaching in elementary and secondary schools or universities.

Please follow this link for more information and how to apply:

The Critical Language Scholarship Program is an intensive overseas language and cultural immersion program for American undergraduate and graduate students. This program is designed to significantly expand students’ knowledge of a critical foreign language. For eight to 10 weeks each summer, students from the U.S. live and study at over 20 sites abroad. This program is equivalent to a full year of college-level language study. Apply by mid-November for enrollment the following summer.

Fourteen critical languages:

  • Arabic
  • Azerbaijani
  • Bangla
  • Chinese
  • Hindi
  • Indonesian
  • Japanese
  • Korean
  • Persian
  • Punjabi
  • Russian
  • Swahili
  • Turkish
  • Urdu

Please follow this link for more information and to apply online:

The Language and Cultural Assistants Program, coordinated by the Spanish Ministry of Education, gives students an opportunity to visit Spain, learn about the Spanish education system, teachers, and students. The program is designed to give applicants the opportunity to expand their knowledge of Spanish culture and language while sharing their own culture and language with the people of Spain. This program is open to community college students in their last semester of studies by the end of the academic year preceding the start of the program.

Please follow this link for more information:

Scholarships and Grants for Study Abroad through an IIE resource page: You can find detailed descriptions of hundreds of study abroad scholarships, fellowships, grants, and paid internships for U.S. students.

If you are interested in studying in East or Southeast Asia, there are scholarships available through the Freeman Foundation. Freeman-ASIA accepts applications from U.S. citizens and permanent residents studying at the undergraduate level at a two-year or four-year college or university who are in need of financial aid.

For more information please visit the site below:

Community Colleges for International Development (CCID) and Cross Cultural Solutions are offering Harris Wofford Global Service Fellowships to give individual students and school sponsored groups an opportunity to participate in a volunteer abroad program at a discounted rate. Past destinations have included Costa Rica, Ghana, Guatemala, Peru, Tanzania, Morocco, Thailand, and India.

Please follow this link for more information on the application process:

Boren Awards offers a variety of scholarships (up to $20,000) for U.S. undergraduate students looking to study abroad in underrepresented areas and areas that are critical to U.S. interests.

Please follow the link below for more information about programs and how to apply online:

The Bridging Projects, through the U.S.-Japan Bridging Foundation, awards scholarships twice a year to multiple applicants (about 100/year) participating in study-abroad programs in Japan. Undergraduate students majoring in any field of study are eligible to apply and Japanese language study is not a prerequisite.

For more information on the scholarship and how to apply, please visit the site below:

Go Overseas offers a variety of scholarships for undergraduate and graduate students to multiple study abroad destinations. Past destinations have included New Zealand and Ireland. It also includes scholarships for volunteer and internship programs.

For more information on how to apply, please follow the link below:

Fund for Education Abroad was established to provide scholarships to students who are underrepresented among the U.S. study abroad population. This organization supports minority, community college, and first generation college students for the entire duration of their study abroad experience, including before and after the trip.

Please follow this link for more information and to apply online:

IES is a great resource to use when applying for study abroad funding because they have designed a universal aid application that allows students to apply online for all of their financial aid opportunities at once. After applying, IES will respond with all the aid opportunities you are eligible for.

For more information and to apply online, please visit their website:

The Lord Acton Memorial Scholarship launched by AASAP/UK Association is awarded to students who are interested in studying abroad in the UK. This is a merit-based scholarship with an award of £500 for a semester or £1,000 for a full year of study. Students need to be enrolled full-time as an undergraduate at a university or college based in the U.S.

For more information about this opportunity, please visit the site below:

Last Updated December 30, 2022