Neurodiagnostic Technology (NDT)
Is a scientific field focused on recording/studying electrical activity of brain/nervous system, where Neurodiagnostic Technologists operate electroencephalograph (EEG) machines to record electrical impulses transmitted by brain/nervous system to perform tests assisting in diagnosis of neurological disorders.
Common NDT’s Responsibilities
- To take medical histories, prepare patients for testing, and apply electrodes
- Identify interferences
- Prepare written reports of tracings for neurologist
- Monitor patients during procedures, and respond to medical emergencies
- Maintain and calibrate diagnostic equipment to ensure accurate testing and diagnosis
- Operate digital computerized EEG instrumentation
- Care for patient’s basic needs, such as cleaning patient after procedure
Areas of Specialization Taught by Program
- EEG – Electroencephalogram
Tests that measure and records the electrical activity of the brain. Diagnosis: Epilepsy, Dementia, Seizures
- PSG – Polysomnogram
- NCV – Nerve Conduction Studies
Measures the electrical activity of nerves at rest and during contraction. Identifying how well and fast the nerves can send electrical signals.
- EP – Evoked Potential
Specific tests used to diagnosis disease of the nervous system such as Multiple Sclerosis
- LTM – Long-Term Monitoring
Diagnostic technique used in certain patients with epilepsy or seizures
- IOM (CNIM) – Inter-Operative Monitoring
Monitoring during surgical procedures on central nervous system and spinal cord.
Physical Demands of the NDT Program
- Walk and stand for long periods of time
- Above-average manual dexterity and hand/eye coordination
- Good vision and hearing (or correctable to good)
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Lifting and moving of ill or injured patients
- Able to work under stress
- Students must maintain a ‘C’ or higher in all courses to remain in the NDT program at Bellevue College.
The Process Toward Becoming Nationally Registered
Consider making it a goal! Credentialing makes you more marketable and relevant in neurodiagnostics.
Benefits of credentialing….
Job Locations of Neurodiagnostic Technologists
Last Updated October 22, 2015