An Egg-cellent Experiment

The Nutrition, Health, and Fitness course focuses on overall wellness and the application of healthy living practices. Throughout the quarter, students actively participate in events that demonstrate skills and knowledge in maintaining healthy lifestyle choices. 

The class has recently been learning about how teeth are affected by what we drink. The eggshell is very similar to the enamel on our teeth. It can easily stain from drinks we consume. If we don’t brush our teeth at night and in the morning, the food and drink we have during the day is left to coat the tooth and can stain them permanently or lead to tooth decay. To demonstrate their knowledge and learn about how their favorite drink effects their teeth, the students participated in the “Egg Experiment.”  

Students had options as to how they would like to share their experiment with the class: PowerPoint, Presi, Poster Board, Free Video Making Tool (animaker, powtoon, etc).

How do you think your drink selection affects the enamel on your teeth?

• My egg turned light brown. I learned that the acid in black tea cause staining and some enamel to be removed.  If you drink black tea, you should drink a glass of water afterwards to wash your mouth out. -Kyle 
  • My egg was discolored.  Too much grape juice can stain teeth.  It affects how your teeth look.  Brush teeth and gums thoroughly.  – Miguel 
  • My egg did not change color, but the texture changed from the Monster Energy drink.  I rubbed on the texture part and it came off quite easily.  This makes me think what Monster Energy does to my teeth. – Sabine
presentation slide of egg experiment
presentation slide of egg experiment

Nutrition, Health, & Fitness is one of the many courses OLS Bellevue College students take to obtain their associate degree from OLS. More information about our curriculum is available on our website. To learn more about our program register for an upcoming Information Session.

Last Updated February 11, 2021