Classroom Learning + Real-world Experiences
The OLS curriculum is meaningful and life-related. Class sizes are small and class time is longer than a typical college course in order to provide you more learning time and differentiated instruction. Throughout the program, you will apply what you learn in the classroom to real-world experiences.
OLS courses directly relate to work and life. Our scaffolded course structure provides reinforcement of learned concepts throughout the program.
Examples of OLS courses:
- Personal Finance: Practice working with a
personal budget and understand how to balance a bank account.
- Citizenship: Learn how to advocate for yourself and your community and how local government operates
- Workplace Readiness: Explore career interests, polish job interview skills and learn how to solve problems in the workplace.
- Electives: Choose from a variety of courses such as Theater, Podcasts, Music Appreciation, fitness courses and more.
Visit the Bellevue College website for a complete list of OLS courses and descriptions.
In every course, you will take part in a community activity directly related to your coursework.
- Apply academic knowledge in a real-world setting
- Learn about business operations and a variety of occupations
- Learn networking skills and exhibit professional behaviors
Examples of Community Activities:
- Recording podcasts at a local studio
- Attending a King County legislative forum
- Visiting the Microsoft Inclusive Tech Lab
- Making and delivering trail mix to people
- Hosting a campus coffee social
Every quarter students and staff come together as a program to take part in the following Service Learning projects:
- Organizing and participating in a clothing drive
- Making blankets for Seattle Children’s Hospital
- Prepare grounds for spring planting at the Tavon Center
“Service Projects areSamantha, OLS Student
important because you gain new experiences and skills by giving back to the community.”
Your final two quarters are spent in a 200+ hour internship with a local business specific to your chosen career track. Every internship is unique and tailored to your strengths.
Business partners include:
- Kaiser Permanente
- Marriot Hotels
- Lionbridge Technologies
- Bellevue School District
- Toyota of Bellevue
Learn more by visiting our Internship and Employment page.
Last Updated October 20, 2022