At Bellevue College, we are constantly looking for opportunities to better prepare our students for the workforce. Interacting with STEM professionals is a valuable resource STEM to Stern provides our students.
As a STEM mentor you can come to our classroom as a presenter, panelists, or cluster leader. The commitment is once or twice a year. Our class meets every week on Wednesdays from 2:30 to 4:20 p.m. Therefore, your participation would be during these hours (in person or virtual).
STEM to Stern is a two-year cohort program for motivated students at Bellevue College pursuing a bachelor’s degree and career in STEM. Students take cohort courses over 6 quarters their first two years of college.
Programming revolves around 5 pillars:
- Sustain enthusiasm for STEM fields by connecting to professionals and alumni.
- Develop “STEM Smarts” techniques, such as forming study skills, time management, and problem-solving skills that help you succeed in STEM courses.
- Acquire and practice professional skills needed to successfully compete for jobs, internships, and scholarships.
- Strategically plan your career paths after reflecting upon your interests and strengths and conducting hands-on research about STEM pathways and jobs.
- Explore and connect to STEM opportunities on campus, in the Puget Sound area, and across the country.
One of our key aims is to target under-represented minorities for this opportunity and create a sense of community for them. The support, guidance, and exceptional professional networking of the program are unique and rewarding for those who go through it.
Click the “Become a Mentor” tab to sign up!
Last Updated October 26, 2022