US Tax & International Students

It is TAX FILING SEASON!  And you can do your taxes for only $10 thanks to OIE!

All international students are required to complete and file tax forms with the U.S. federal government, whether or not they had earned income during the tax year.

These are the two most common options for you as F-1 Students in the U.S.:

  1. If you DID NOT WORK during the 2018 Tax Year (Jan. 1, 2018 – Dec. 31st, 2018), the student must fill out and mail Form 8843 to the IRS by April of 2019. This form and instructions will be available at the OIE Front Desk. Students are e-mailed when these forms are available. All tax forms and form instructions can be downloaded at Students should make copies of all tax forms for their records.
  2. If you DID EARNED MONEY during the 2018 Tax Year (Jan. 1, 2018 – Dec. 31st, 2018), the student must fill out two forms, Form 8843 and Form 1040NR (or 1040NR-EZ), and then send both forms to the IRS before the deadline in mid-April. (The exact date is in the instructions on the 1040 form).  If you are in this category you may come to OIE to sign-up for the $10 Tax Software and will be granted access to the Sprintax Online Tax Software mentioned below.

BC has several International Student Tax Workshops in February and March. Attending these workshop is optional and students are e-mailed the time and location of this workshop. Also, BC purchases a license to use online software from Sprintax. This software is only for students who earned money. Students who have been in the U.S. for five years or longer should not use this software, rather these students should complete tax documents as if they are U.S. citizens or permanent residents.

If a student wants to purchase Sprintax, which will help them complete these forms, students can do this at the Office of International Education (B144) starting Monday, February 11th.  If we are able to offer this sooner, this webpage will be updated as soon as possible.

Students who earned money last year should receive W-2 Forms from their employer. W-2 forms show how much money was earned during a tax year. W-2 Forms are needed to complete tax forms. Contact your school’s Payroll or Finance department to receive your W-2 form if you did not receive it by mail.  If you worked on-campus you should expect to receive your W-2 form from Bellevue College by February of 2019.

IF STUDENTS DO NOT PURCHASE Sprintax Tax Software, then students can complete their tax documents on their own or with a tax professional. Bellevue College and your International Advisor cannot give detailed tax advising since we are not trained tax advisors. Not completing income tax documents may negatively affect future visa applications to the U.S.

Last Updated January 16, 2019