Dear Current and New International Students at Bellevue College,
On July 24, 2020, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) released the “Clarifying Questions for Fall 2020”. This document further clarifies how ICE views and handles “current active-status” and “new initial-status” students differently in Fall 2020. Per ICE, “ Nonimmigrant students in in New or Initial status after March 9, 2020 will not be able to enter the United States to enroll in a U.S. school as a nonimmigrant student for the fall term to pursue a full course of study that is 100 percent online.
What does this mean to you?
Continuing BC students in “active” status:
- If you are in the US and registered for full-time in Fall quarter 2020 at BC, you may study in the US or from your home country. Please check all travel restrictions before traveling internationally. Consult your International Student Advisor before you take any actions.
- If you are outside of the US, registered for full-time, and want to stay there to study full-time at BC in Fall quarter 2020, you may continue studying from home and maintain your F-1 status
Continuing BC students in “active” status AND changing education level (CEL) at BC in Fall 2020 (e.g., An “active-status” intensive ESL student moving to college-level and has a “change of education level” initial status I-20 for fall ’20.)
- If you are in the US and changing your education level within BC in fall 2020, complete the CEL requirements, wait for approval from IE, and you will be eligible to continue your new level of studies for Fall Quarter 2020.
Newly-Admitted Student or Returning BC Student:
- If you are a newly-admitted or returning new student for fall quarter 2020 and are outside of the US now, you need to change your I-20 starting term to a future one, because BC’s classes will predominantly online in Fall.
- To update your I-20 form, contact your International Admission Specialist.
- As a newly admitted student, you may start taking an online course from your home country while you are waiting to enter the US as a BC’s F-1 student. For more information about the Overseas Online Program (OOP), please go here.
If you are unsure where you fit and have question, please contact International Education at firstname.lastname@example.org. Information may change, so keep checking your BC email for more information.
Who We Are
Bellevue College is a top-ranking, fully-accredited college offering two-year associate and four-year bachelor’s degrees as well as professional and technical certificates, an Intensive English Language program, and International High School Completion program. Surrounded by 96 acres of evergreen trees, Bellevue College campus is a beautiful, safe, and modern place to study. Students have access to world-class facilities including brand new on-campus student housing. Bellevue College encourages students to get a well-rounded college experience and offers more than 80 student clubs, recreational activities, and several music, dance, and theatrical productions for students to enjoy.
Where We Are
Bellevue College is located in the city of Bellevue, in the highly desirable Greater Seattle area. Greater Seattle area is a place of magnificent natural beauty, excellent employment opportunities, and many recreational opportunities. Seattle is an exciting urban, cosmopolitan city that thrives with industrial, commercial, and cultural activities but remains unpretentious and casual. The city of Bellevue is well known for its breathtaking scenery, great employment opportunities, and safe streets. It is a growing city with a bustling economic climate and vibrant culture. Its residents are highly educated and multicultural and form a welcoming and supportive community for international students.
Spring 2020 New Student Orientations
In-Person Orientation has been CANCELLED. New Spring Quarter students will receive instructions to complete orientation and mandatory check-in by email.
*If you have not received this information by March 27th, please contact your International Advisor.
Japan Week – Sat. Oct 3 – 10am-5pm
Activities for All Ages:
* Origami * Karaoke * Martial Arts * Flea Market * Japan Trivia Contest * Much more….
Show your support for our diverse community and become a part of our “You Are Welcome Here” campaign! This inclusive message encapsulates our ongoing dedication to all of our students regardless of country of origin or immigration status, and our affirmation of inclusion that we are “committed to maintaining an environment in which every member of the campus community feels welcome to participate in the life of the College, free from harassment and discrimination.”
- Location: Part of greater Seattle, an area with moderate climate, clean air and water, and home to iconic corporations such as Microsoft, Nintendo, Amazon, and Starbucks
- Academic Excellence: Small classes, dedicated faculty committed to student success, and rich student resources and services including free tutoring, personal counseling services, and comprehensive career resources
- University Transfer: High transfer rates to the University of Washington and Washington State University, the largest two universities in the Washington state as well as to top universities throughout the U.S. including Columbia, Cornell, Purdue, Berkeley, UCLA and many others
- International Students Support: Comprehensive support by the Office of International Education, from admission to extracurricular activities and cultural adjustment as well as individual advising on immigration and academic issues by experienced international advisors.
- Leadership and Development Opportunities: International students have numerous opportunities to develop their personal and leadership skills by volunteering and getting involved in student clubs, programs and organizations. They are also eligible for on-campus employment and can contribute to the diversity and multiculturalism of Bellevue College by becoming peer-mentors or Global Leaders.