The Social Justice Leadership Institute (SJLI), is a partnership between Bellevue College and South Seattle College.
To achieve full leadership participation, educational equity, and empowerment for members of historically disfranchised and underrepresented professionals through mentoring, and culturally responsive trainings. The intended outcomes of this leadership institute are:
- To foster leadership identity among historically underrepresented groups.
- To develop a network of colleagues system wide.
- To develop a pipeline of employees that are able to move into higher leadership positions.
The first preference will go to an individual who is either an employee of color and/or other members of historically underrepresented groups, a person with a disability, and/or a person who identifies as LGBTQIA sexual minority.
- A full-time employee who has been working in a community and technical colleges for over two years.
- A full-time employee who have not reached a position, such as vice president and/or deans.
- Must have an endorsement (signature of her/his approval) by president or supervisor.
- Attend a three-day retreat from August 26 – August 28, 2019 in Whidbey Institute (https://whidbeyinstitute.org/) in Washington State (Required).
- Attend five (half-day each) workshops during the 2019 – 2020 academic year, along with graduation June 4. Workshops will be held at Bellevue College & South Seattle College (Required).
- Attend the Faculty & Staff of Color Conference (FSOCC), October 30, – November 1, 2019, held at the Historic Davenport Hotel, Spokane WA (Optional).
The cost is $1,700 per participant ($100.00 of cost is toward graduation fees)
If you have any questions, please contact Beabe Akpojovwo, Diversity Manager, and Director of SJLI, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, (425) 564-2268 or Sayumi Irey, Ph.D., Vice President of Instruction, South Seattle College, and Executive Director of SJLI, email: Sayumi.Irey@Seattlecolleges.edu.
Social Justice Leadership Institute Workshop Dates & Locations:
- November 7, 2019, 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. – South Seattle College
- January 23, 2020, 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. – Bellevue College Library Media Center (D106)
- March 5, 2020, 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. – South Seattle College
- May 7, 2020, 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. – South Seattle College
- June 4, 2020, 11:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. – Mini Session & Graduation Ceremony, South Seattle College
What is SJLI?:
Last Updated May 29, 2019