The Social Justice Leadership Institute (SJLI), is a partnership between Bellevue College and South Seattle College.
To achieve full leadership participation, educational equity, and empowerment for members of historically disfranchised and underrepresented groups through mentoring, and culturally responsive training. The intended outcomes of this leadership institute are:
• To foster leadership identity among historically underrepresented groups.
• To professionally develop a pipeline of colleagues through cohorts system wide, preparing them to move into higher leadership positions.
The first preference will go to an individual who is either an employee of color and/or other members of historically underrepresented groups, a person with a disability, and/or a person who identifies as LGBTQIA sexual minority.
1. A full-time employee who has been working in a community and technical colleges, or a university for over two years.
2. A full-time employee who have not reached a position, such as vice president and/or dean.
3. Must have an endorsement (signature of their approval) by president or supervisor.
- Attend the retreat January 11 & 12, 2021 (Two days – four hours each) (Required).
- Attend five (half-day each) workshops during the 2021 academic year, along with graduation November 11, 2021. Workshops will be held remotely (Required).
- Attend the Faculty & Staff of Color Conference (FSOCC), October 27 -29, held at the Davenport Grand Hotel, Spokane, WA (Optional).
The cost is $850.00 per participant ($100.00 of cost is toward graduation fees)
If you have any questions, please contact Beabe Akpojovwo, Diversity Manager, and Director of SJLI, email: email@example.com, (425) 564-2268 or Sayumi Irey, Ph.D., Vice President of Instruction, South Seattle College, and Executive Director of SJLI, email: Sayumi.Irey@Seattlecolleges.edu.
Social Justice Leadership Institute Workshop Dates (All Workshops are held remotely)
- March 3, 2021, 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- May 6, 2021, 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- July 9, 2021, 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- September 9, 2021, 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- November 11, 11:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m., (workshop & graduation)
Apply Now (Deadline to apply is October 15, 2020)
Last Updated August 14, 2020