Bellevue Reporter Journalists Visit OLS Bellevue College Class

In November, the OLS News and Daily Living course enjoyed a visit from journalists for the Bellevue Reporter. Evan Pappas covers the City Hall beat, and Madison Miller writes features on arts and education. Together they talked about how they got started in the news business, what their responsibilities are, and what their typical day is like.

They also fielded questions from the students who were learning to write news articles. Students got tips on writing a good lead and how to set up interviews for a story, including how to write around those interviews when the interviewees don’t reply right away.

Commenting afterward, student Ken said, “Evan’s advice about writing the story first, then coming back to write the lead, was very helpful. It made me a little less worried about the lead paragraph.”

“I am not a reporter and don’t plan to be, but I am so impressed that you are the kind of people who really enjoy your jobs,” classmate Alan added. “I am hoping that someday maybe I, too, can find a career I love and am passionate about.”

The visitors noted describing their jobs to the students gave them insights into their own work. “Honestly, I think Evan and I got a lot more out of it than we realized going in,” said Ms. Miller. “I am so happy we had a positive effect on your students, and that they enjoyed our visit.”

Bellevue reporters sti in front of class fielding questions

News & Daily Living is one of the many courses OLS Students take to obtain their associate degree from OLS. More information about our curriculum is available on our website. To learn more about our program register for an Information Session.

Last Updated December 27, 2018