Virtual Ice Breaker

young adult male sitting at a desk with a laptop

The OLS Bellevue College Office Procedures and Customer Service course students participated in a virtual ice breaker to start off Spring Quarter. A virtual ice breaker can be a game, a quirky activity, a competition, or an exercise that’s designed to challenge the way students think, and, in this case, students played a game called 2 Truths and 1 Lie. Each student prepared a list of three interesting “facts” about themselves, one of which must be made up. These comprised anything: a pet they own, a hobby they love, a famous person they say they’ve met, and so on. This activity encouraged students to think creatively and help students get to know one another better.

Why use an ice breaker: An ice breaker is simply an approach used to get conversations flowing and to break down barriers or shyness between students starting a new class. It’s one way to get everyone “in the mood” for a new class, help students engage with one another, and learn more about one another.

The overall goal of the virtual class this quarter is to create a safe, relaxed, and supportive learning environment where students can gain new information, share their knowledge, and ask questions if they need help. In addition, students can socially interact in fun and engaging ways.

young adult male sitting working at a computer

Student Comments about the activity:

“The two truths and one lie was super fun to do! It was enjoyable to do and hear about other people’s two truths and a lie!”  Elly- 3rd year

“I enjoyed trying to think of things that seemed like a lie that was truth, and a lie that seemed was true.” Tashi- 3rd Year

“What I enjoyed most about the icebreaker game of 2 truths and a lie that we played on the first day of class was learning new and interesting things about my fellow classmates that I did not know were true before.” Edward- 3rd year

“When everyone participated in the activity, I had the opportunity to learn something from my classmates and it also made me curious about what each person has accomplished in his or her personal experience. I really liked that you made it challenging for everyone because it was hard to come up with a lie about myself.”Roman- 3rd year

“I really enjoyed the game. It was a great way to start class!” Katelyn- 3rd year

Office Procedures and Customer Service is one of the many courses OLS Students take to obtain their associate degree from OLS. More information about our curriculum is available on our website. To learn more about our program register for an upcoming Information Session.

[ssba-buttons]

Last Updated July 16, 2020