Healthy Relationships Community Activity

Healthy Relationships is a course for 1st year OLS students that focuses on learning to take perspective and strategies to improve social interactions. This quarter, the class was visited by guest speaker Ricky Namavong, who talked about the importance of building healthy relationship in the workforce and how those relationships can impact a person’s life.

screen shot of OLS students in Microsoft Teams classroom

Ricky is a photographer, and throughout his presentation he showed pictures he’s taken to the students, asking them to tell him in the group chat what type of relationship they saw in the photo. This helped the students gain a stronger understanding what healthy relationship can look like; it illustrated to the students that when you when take perspective of the people and events around you, you can see a variety of relationships being experienced.

screen shot of Microsoft Teams chat

Here’s what a couple of our students had to say about the activity:

“I learned that healthy relationships are a life skill because it is important wherever you go, work, and are involved in. I thought when Ricky said that life would be boring if everyone was the same, I agree with that, and it is something that I think about and believe as well. Life would be dull if everyone was the same there would be no new or no struggle or differences. I also think that Ricky is a very smart man because he knows a lot about OLS and a lot about healthy relationships from his photography job. I think he is a very talented photographer. I also learned that we need to be confident in our social interactions and try small talk. Be an active listener. Body language is very important in healthy relationships.  I thought it was interesting that our PI’s help healthy relationships. That was very cool to hear and know. I found it amazing that being around people can help your mental health because it helps mine. Also, trust plays a big role in relationships. I liked how Ricky gave us definitions of each relationship (family, friends, romantic, co- workers, acquaintances). All those relationships are important in their own way and sometime in life we would have all of them if we chose. The presentation was very interactive and very good. I learned a lot and enjoyed it. I thought Ricky did a great job presenting his slides and telling us information and having us involved in the presentation. Overall, I really loved this community activity day and thought it was well done.” – Grace

“For the community activity we focused on healthy relationships, and we brought in someone named Ricky Namamong who has work in OLS staff for a long time and his experience in his carrier of what healthy relationships meant for him and what he thought was import about having relationships. I thought that the community activity was interesting I thought the information was good and clear about the topic we were talking about. how healthy relationships can be easy sometimes and sometimes it can be hard sometimes. For me I think relationships can be both can be easy and hard sometimes because of certain background information and not always it is easy to talk to loved ones or strangers about certain subjects. For example, relationships that can be kind of tricky because you might not want to share all the details of what’s going on in their relationships but might want to share enough so their family do not worry.I liked the photos that Ricky took of the family in a group photo in a park or somewhere or where they were siting together looking very happy similar to the photo down below. I find these photos very beautiful and something I might want to do in the future.” – Riley

Career Exploration is one of the many courses OLS Bellevue College students take to obtain their associate degree from OLS. More information about our curriculum is available on our website. To learn more about our program register for an upcoming Information Session.

Last Updated June 23, 2021