Bellevue College On-Campus Housing: The OLS Perspective

Written by: Anastasia, OLS Student

Have you ever wondered what it is like to live in on campus? Maybe you are curious about the student experience. Maybe you are starting college for the first time and being independent and living without parents is scary, frightening or gives you anxiety. Maybe you’re just ready to get out of your parents’ house and need your space.

Don’t worry: we got your back. We have all been in your shoes, that scary/exciting feeling of getting out of your comfort zone.

We have written some helpful tips to help you be successful living in student housing and the starting footsteps of living on your own.

Four OLS students pose outside the Bellevue College dorms.

How do you food prep?

When I make food, I always make sure my preparation area is clean before, during and after. When I am done eating, I wash my dishes very well. – Hailey

How do you keep your room clean?

I start with dusting the windows, wiping down the door and my mini refrigerator. After that is done, I make my bed, pick up anything that is on floor and then set up my vacuum (Roomba). While the Roomba is doing its thing, I gather up all the trash and recycling and take it out. – Allison

How do you use transportation while living in housing?

Oh, that’s easy: I walk everywhere I go because first of all, I don’t have my own vehicle yet, and secondly, its great to stay active. I do take an Uber on Sundays to and from Church. – Isaac

How do you do your grocery shopping? And how are you successful in it?

I wear a hiking bag to put groceries in, and I walk down the street because it’s good exercise. It takes me twenty minutes to walk to the grocery store both ways. I carry my groceries in a backpack. I don’t use coupons, I use my credit card. I sometimes make a shopping list. – Anna

What you do in your free time and on weekends while living in housing?

My free time after completing homework is playing some games with friends and some other classmates. Games vary on what friends feel about doing, but I mainly play Rocket League to be the best. On weekends it also varies by friends. I like having a social life, so friendships are very important to me. Sometimes I will be invited to a friend’s house, or I stay in the dorms and clean up. – Larkin

How do you do laundry while living in housing?

I use a laundry basket and do it twice a week. I go to the laundry room and pick an available washer. You can use coins or download an app called Pay Range and add funds. With the click of a button you can pay. When my laundry is done, I load my clothes in my laundry basket and go back to my room to put them away. – Anastasia

What is the moving in and out process like?

Before my first year of college, I went on the Bellevue College website, searched up student housing and clicked on “apply now.” Now that I am a returning student, each year I log in to bellevuecollege.erezlife.com. You get a date when to move in, and I pack my stuff in my dad’s car and go. When I get to the college there are a lot of people. I sign waivers, get my key and assigned room and load my stuff into my room and organize it. When I move out, I pick a day that works for me to move out. I clean out my room, they check it, I sign my key out, sign papers and go back home. – Anastasia

Occupational & Life Skills (OLS) Bellevue College is an associate degree program for adults with learning disabilities.

In our uniquely supportive skills-based program, students apply academic knowledge through community activities, service learning and social experiences. Students identify a career pathway, gain marketable, workplace-ready competencies, develop better interpersonal skills and complete an internship in alignment with their career goals.

We offer online and on-campus program options so students can learn in the environment of their choice.

The Bellevue College Residence Hall offers Bellevue College students the opportunity to live and engage on-campus. This community is home to up to 400 students in a variety of suites and apartments and includes plenty of community spaces for studying, meeting, and socializing.

Last Updated June 14, 2022