For parents and other adult caregivers
The BC program has long been known for its engaging parent-child classes. However, for parents looking to learn new parenting skills in an adult only setting, we also offer a few parent-only classes.
Positive Discipline (Offered Winter Quarter 2024)
This class is taught by Kristin Nasman, MEd, and is for parents with children age 1 to 12. It will meet in-person for five Wednesday evenings (begins January 2024 please check back soon for dates). Cost: College tuition is $18.41 per student. Course materials are $65 per family.
Sometimes parenting feels like the best job in the world. Sometimes a single day can feel like a hundred years. You may recognize some of these common questions:
- Is there any way to stop sibling fighting?
- How can I help her learn to make friends?
- Is this normal??
- She just doesn’t listen – help!
- How much do I let them negotiate? When is it too much?
Our 5-week Positive Discipline course is for parents of children ages 1 through 12. (This is an adult-only class. Children do not attend.) Positive Discipline is a decades-old, research-based parenting program. It teaches that children are hard-wired to connect with others, and that children who feel a sense of connection to their community, family, and school are less likely to misbehave.
In this course, you will deepen your understanding of your child’s behavior. You will learn parenting principles to guide you for the journey ahead along with practical tools and tips that can be implemented immediately. You’ll practice new ways to teach, support, and guide your child while setting limits with kindness and firmness. This course is fun and interactive!
If you have any questions, contact Kristin.
ESL for Parents (Offered Spring Quarter 2024)
The ESL for Parents class is for parents who do not speak English at home and who have a child between pre-school and 3rd grade (age 3 – 9). The focus is on improving the parents’ English language skills needed to help their children. This class is for all levels of English language learners.
This class will meet on five Monday evenings, during the Spring quarter in the evening( please check back for dates and times). The class will be in-person on the BC campus. The cost is $18.41 per student. This is a parent only class. Children do not attend.
Would you like to learn how to talk to your child’s doctor or teacher confidently? Would you like to practice speaking and listening to English with other parents? Then this class is for you!
In the ESL for Parent’s class, you will learn:
- How to make an appointment.
- How to apply for Kindergarten and understand the US school system.
- How to ask how your child is doing in class or at the doctor.
- How to say that you are worried about your child.
- How to ask for help for your child from a teacher or doctor.
- What your child is learning at school.
- How to feel more confident in reading aloud to your child in English.
- How to sing the songs your child sings in school.
The class builds a supportive community so that you feel comfortable to practice your speaking and listening skills. As you learn how to complete forms and find what you need on a website, you will also learn new vocabulary and practice your writing and reading skills.
If you have questions about the class, contact Louise.
How to Register
- Email the instructor to let them know you would like to join the class. (Email Louise for ESL for Parents or Kristin for Positive Discipline). AND
- Enroll with the college: If you are new to the college, you’ll first need to be admitted as a student. Follow these instructions to enroll in the college.
- Once you’re admitted, you can follow these instructions to enroll in parent education course. (If you’ve taken a class at the college before, you can start with this link.)
Schedule for 2023 – 2024
Viewing from a mobile device? Scroll right to see full content of the tables below.
|Class||Item#||Age||Day & Time||Contact||Availability|
What Parents Say About This Class
I feel like I’m less reactive and more patient now, with my kids and with myself. This work has helped me feel connected to my children again.
Great conversations with other parents experiencing the same struggles. Wonderful ideas that I was able to use right away.
Last Updated September 26, 2023