For: Children ages 3 – 6.
Sign up soon! Only a few spaces remaining.
We are a play-based, multi-age program where children have the opportunity for fun hands-on learning, At each 4-day session, there’s a different STEM-inspired theme every day. This camp is part of the Bellevue College Parent Education program, so parents get to learn too! Parents will attend an introductory evening session where we discuss ways parents can support STEM learning and work in the classroom on one of the four days of camp.
What will your child experience at our camp?
We’ll have lots of fun playing and learning together! Each morning’s activities will include: science experiments, art projects, sensory bins and a water table, imaginary play experiences, large motor activities and outdoor play. We also have snack and group times for songs, stories, and games.
Week 1: Young Scientists – July 5 – 8 (Tuesday thru Friday) – 9:30 – 12
- Paleontology / Geology – Explore fossils, dig up “bones” and assemble a skeleton. Pretend to Be a Dinosaur!
- Astronomy / Space Travel – Make constellation viewers, space helmets and melted crayon planets. Pretend to Be An Astronaut!
- Light, Shadow, and Rainbows – Make shadow puppets, weave rainbows and make rainbow bracelets. Be a Dancing Shadow Monster!
- Chemistry: Explore states of matter, non-Newtonian fluids and chemical reactions. Make Things Fizz and Go Boom!
Week 2: Young Engineers – August 1 – 4 (Monday thru Thursday), 9:30 – 12
- Simple Machines – Explore pulleys, wedges, levers, ramps, screws and the wheel and axle. Learn how tools make work easier to do!
- Building Structures – It’s Construction Worker Day! Dig with toy bulldozers, learn how to build strong structures, and work with others to build a house.
- Flight – Play with lots of ways to launch things through the air: the wind tube, scarf cannon, pompom launchers, paper airplanes and straw gliders.
- Contraptions – Learn about inventors and about Rube Goldberg devices. Play with scribble-bots. Make a robot from recyclables.
What will you get out of the camp?
This camp is part of the Bellevue College Parent Education program, where our motto is “parents and children learning and growing together.”
Parents are enrolled in a one credit course at Bellevue College, where the “lab” portion of class is our children’s camp, and we’ll have an online “lecture” portion prior to camp.
Pre-Camp Evening Discussion. Prior to camp, parents will participate in an online class which will include an orientation to camp, and a one hour discussion which is focused on supporting STEM learning in the classroom and at home. Building your child’s STEM skills early on lays a great foundation for future success. You are required to attend one Zoom session prior to camp. You are welcome to attend both sessions, even if your child is only in one session of camp.
Session 1 – Tuesday June 28, 7 – 8:15 p.m. Teaching Children Science Skills – Nurturing Lifelong Curiosity
Session 2 – Thursday July 28, 7 – 8:15 p.m. Teaching Children Problem-Solving Skills, Growth Based Mindset
Working in the Classroom: Our camp follows a co-op preschool model, where parents are required to work in the classroom one day during the camp. (When you register for the class, the instructor will give you information on signing up for your work day. Shift choice is first come, first served.) In the classroom, you will help children with activities, help the teachers with clean-up and prep, and observe how the teachers support STEM learning.
Location: Camp is held on the Bellevue College Campus in Q Building – the Early Learning Center. We use the classroom that houses our Creative Arts Lab and our Family Inventors’ Lab during the school year.
Ages: This is a multi-age program, appropriate for preschool to early elementary age children (ages 3 – 6). Children must turn 3 before camp begins.
Staffing: The camp staff for each day of camp includes: a parent education instructor, two children’s teachers, and the parent workers for the day, so our adult to child ratios are un-beatable! Our teaching team includes: Teacher Janelle, Teacher Cymbric, and Teacher Monisha. We’re the team for Family Inventors’ Lab during the school year and amongst us we have also taught: toddler classes, co-op preschool, Creative Arts Lab, Discovery Science Lab, and previous summer camps.
Health: We will follow current COVID prevention guidelines.
To register, fill out the form below. The instructor will respond within five business days and will give you a permission code and information about the next steps to get yourself signed up for the parent portion, and your child signed up for the camp.
Tuition: For each session of camp, the parent pays $18.41 in college tuition – paid through the college system, and $120 in lab fees for the children’s program which are paid directly to the instructor. For a second child from the same family, the lab fees are $80.
Questions: If you have any questions, email the instructor, Janelle Durham, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer Camp Interest Form
Last Updated May 18, 2022