The Healthcare Informatics program was specifically designed to meet the flexible educational needs of its students. All courses in the degree are offered in a fully online format using Bellevue College’s learning management system: Canvas
Fully online courses are defined as courses in which all regularly scheduled classroom time is replaced by required activities completed at a distance and managed online through a course management system or equivalent technology.
- Online courses require no fixed schedule visits to the BC campus or other pre-determined location.
- All activities can be completed geographically remote from the BC campus, but the student is responsible for arranging a location suitable to the course requirements.
- Visits to particular sites, for instance for tests, internships, service learning, interviews, field research, or other curricular activity may be required, but the location and scheduling of these activities is flexible.
Quality Online Instruction
Being online doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice quality. We pride ourselves on providing an engaging, interactive learning environment.
- Our instructors are nationally-recruited experts, educators and leaders in the field.
- We provide dedicated student support with our writing specialist, research librarian, and program manager.
- Instructional designers bring courses to life with interactive lectures and learning tools.
- Our cohort model fosters a stronger sense of community amongst students.
Out of State Students
Enrollment in the Healthcare Informatics program is not limited to students who live geographically close to the BC Campus. Depending on the state, most students who live outside of Washington state may be able to attend as well.
Before offering classes via online/distance to students who reside outside Washington state, Bellevue College, like all other higher education institutions, must obtain authorization from those states in order to offer classes to their residents. At this time, due to extraordinarily high costs to obtain authorization, and/or other limiting factors, We regret that Bellevue College cannot offer distance education classes to students who live in Puerto Rico. Other states may have restrictions for certain online programs that require licensure and/or internships, externships, clinicals and practicums. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
Students in Other Countries
If an international student wishes to take online classes exclusively (no on-campus or hybrid classes) and is not seeking an I-20 from Bellevue College, they may apply for general admissions to Bellevue College and then selective admission to the Healthcare Informatics program.
Students will be asked to confirm that they intend to take only online classes. Bellevue College will also ask for proof of English competency. This is generally TOEFL scores of 61 (internet-based), 173 (computer-based) or 500 (paper-based). Completion of English 101 or equivalent may substitute for the TOEFL requirement. Proof of English competency is not required for applicants where the primary language is English (Canada, Australia, United Kingdom, etc).
Yes, distance education can be convenient for those who are interested in continuing their education. However, it may not necessarily be the best educational model for everyone based on preferred learning style and available time commitment. Here is a self-assessment test for determining if pursuing a fully online degree/certificate is right for you.
Please review our minimum technology requirements to confirm whether you have the hardware, software and skill sets to be successful in an online learning environment.
Last Updated August 6, 2018