What is a student organization advisor?
All student group advisors are faculty and staff who generously donate their time and energy to our student organizations. Advisors play an important role in student development. As an advisor to a student organization, faculty and staff members help to enrich the college experience of all organization members, and those who attend their events and activities. This is all related to the College’s Strategic Plan.
Why be a student organization advisor?
We begin by thanking you for your dedication and hard work. As an advisor for a student organization at Bellevue college, you are embarking on a great adventure with your student group. By serving in this mentorship role to student leaders, you help foster the culture of student engagement that leads to success in the classroom and helps prepare students for careers after college.
Advisors should familiarize themselves with the policies and procedures for student organizations in the Student Organization Handbook, found on the Organization Resources page. In addition to the student organization handbook, we have a handy Advisor training guide that goes over the following:
- What is a Student Organization at BC?
- What Does the Office of Student Engagement Do?
- What does the ASG Do?
- Working with the Office of Student Engagement
- The Student Organization Handbook
- Goals and Learning Outcomes
- Working with a Student Organization
- Advising styles
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Advisor’s Role
- Time Commitment and Expectations
- Campus Security Authority Training
- Emergency Protocols
- Passing the Torch
- Tips for Success: the Do’s and Don’ts of Advising a Student Organization
Student Organization Advisor Training Guide [PDF]
Last Updated September 22, 2022