Applying for scholarships can be a daunting task. However, you can make this task less challenging by organizing your efforts. Conducting an organized search will improve your chances of finding the money needed to complete your educational goals. All you need to do is search and apply. The following information will help you with the scholarship search and application process.
Researching and Applying for Scholarships and Financial Aid
The booklet, PowerPoint and websites listed below can be helpful when looking for scholarships to assist you in paying for your education.
- Searching for Scholarships Booklet – A booklet to help you find and apply for scholarships.
- How to Get Free Money for College – A PowerPoint presentation on applying for scholarships.
- Financial Aid Resources: For information on applying for financial aid, visit the Bellevue College Financial Aid online resources for assistance.
Scholarship Search Websites
The following websites list hundreds of potential scholarships available to college students.
- Bellevue College Scholarships (available scholarships includes those for BC students only)
- The Wash Board (WA students only)
- Scholarships.html (for students of color)
- www.scholarshipsforhispanics.org www.chci.org
- www.onlinecolleges.net (scholarships for minority students)
- Learn the basics of Financial Aid, scholarships and loans
Writing Personal Statements
Most scholarship applications require you to write a personal statement about your educational and career goals. Writing a successful personal statement requires providing information about yourself in a clear and concise manner.
You may also be requested to state how you meet the requirements of the scholarship. Resources to help you write your personal statement are listed below.
- How to write a personal statement – A list of specific information to include in personal statements.
- Action verbs – list of action verbs to use when writing your personal statement.
Requesting Letters of Recommendations
Letters of recommendation are usually required for scholarship applications. To get the best possible letter of recommendation, it’s important to select the right person to write your letter.
Ideally, this person should be someone with the proper credentials who has a good grasp of your abilities. You may need to provide this person with a letter about your education and background to help them write your recommendation.
The links below can help you with this process as well as provide tips for requesting letters of recommendation.
- A list of information to provide when requesting a letter of recommendation. Request for letters of recommendation Information to assist you in getting started. How to get letters of Recommendation (2)
Organizing Your Scholarship Search
The following documents will help you to organize your scholarship search and keep track of information to include in your scholarship applications.
For additional assistance please see your TRiO Advisor.
Online Scholarship Assistance: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Updated August 30, 2016