Faculty Resources

We work with faculty and staff to ensure all programs, services, and facilities are accessible and usable by disabled students. If there is ever a question or need for clarification on any matter related to DRC students or services, please do not hesitate to contact our office. We appreciate your continued support!

Please click a link below to jump to the relevant content further down this page:

MyDRC Faculty Portal

The MyDRC Faculty Portal is offers a variety of services including the ability to:

  • view all students who have requested accommodations in all of your courses
  • view each of your student’s list of accommodations
  • fill out any Testing Agreements if you have students with testing-related accommodations (review our step-by-step guide for Completing the MyDRC Test Proctoring Form)
  • submit tests for all students as a group or different tests per students (review our step-by-step guide for Uploading an Exam or Adding Test Instructions to MyDRC
  • view students’ Test Appointments, including if they are finished
  • view any Notetakers if you have students with this accommodation, as well as view their notes.

Universal Design

BC and the nearby UW’s Do-It program have a variety of options to help you with accessibility and universal design including:

Instructor Responsibilities

For All Faculty:

There are some general responsibilities for all faculty, regardless of whether you have a student registered with the DRC.

  1. Include the DRC’s statement in your syllabus and cover this information when you discuss your syllabus on the first day of class.
  2. Refer students who disclose having or think they have a disability to the DRC. A student may come right out and state they have a disability, they may indicate they had a 504 or IEP Plan in primary school, or they may indicate they’ve always struggled with a particular subject and aren’t sure why. These are all good times to refer a student to the DRC.  Some tips for referring students to the DRC:
    • The more explicit a student is about having a disability, 504 or IEP Plan the more explicitly you can refer to the DRC; letting them know the DRC is the office that handles the college version of those plans is great!
    • If a student talks more generally about struggling, or they come from a culture with lots of stigma around having a disability, referral to the DRC may be best when listing it as one of a few programs that could offer support – such as the Academic Success Center and Multicultural Services.
    • Pay extra attention to your tone, facial expressions and body language when responding as many students can be sensitive or anxious to how people view them upon learning they have a disability.
    • Offering to accompany or refer students to the DRC office can be a great way to show them you are not judging them and support them connecting with us. Students in general can experience anxiety when coming into any new office and asking for support and depending on the student’ s disability, they may experience more than most.
  1. Read emails from the DRC as they may be a Letter of Accommodation notifying you of a student with accommodations.
  2. Proactively make your course as accessible as possible! Accessibility and universal design techniques help all students but particularly reduce barriers for disabled students. Bonus – there will be less work if you do get a student needing a number of accommodations as you will already have them built into your course. 

For Faculty who receive a Letter of Accommodation:

There are additional responsibilities for faculty upon being notified from the DRC they have a student with accommodations.

  1. Read through the Letter of Accommodation and click the link(s) for any accommodation(s) that are new to you.
  2. Contact your student’s Access Specialist or contact the DRC if you have any questions about the accommodations.  If you have a student with an accommodation you think may fundamentally alter your course, this is a great time to reach out! We can partner on ensuring access without fundamentally altering the course – and ensuring the DRC, instructor, and student are all on the same page about accommodations for that particular course.
  3. Implement accommodations requiring instructor action.

Sign Language Interpreter Request Form

Use this form to request an American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter for an upcoming event, meeting, or appointment. Please complete and submit this form as soon as possible but no later than 2 business days before your event. The earlier you request an interpreter, the more time we have to make the proper arrangements.

This request form is to be used by:

  • Deaf or hard-of-hearing DRC students as well as prospective students for meetings on campus
  • Hearing students who have no affiliation with the DRC but wish to meet with either a Deaf or hard-of-hearing student, staff or faculty member
  • Any college club who wish to have or require an ASL interpreter present for a college-wide public event
  • Any Deaf or hard-of-hearing student that wishes to attend a Bellevue College event

Requests for Faculty and Staff accommodations should be made through Human Resources. They can be reached at (425) 564-2274. For any questions, including if your request should be made via this Form or to Human Resources, call our Front Desk at (425) 564-2498 for voice, or (425) 564-6189 for TTY.

We recommend the organizer of the meeting or event planner request an interpreter. This is to ensure the form is filled out accurately. In the event of the request being made by a BC club/organization, the club/organization putting on the event will be responsible for compensating for the cost of the interpreter(s) and should include their budget number on the Interpreter Request Form.

Sign Language Interpreter Request Form