BC Hosts Scholar From China

Dr. Yi at leadership retreat

Bellevue College is privileged to be hosting Dr. Liu Yi from Donghua University in Shanghai, China, as our international scholar in residence.

She is the recipient of a one-year scholarship from the Chinese government. While here she will be conducting her in-residence research on crisis management, in addition to teaching and speaking engagements.

Dr. Yi recently led an introduction to Chinese business culture workshop for BC’s Continuing Education department. This fall she will teach a credit class —“Business Special Topics” — for the Institute for Business and Information Technology (iBIT), and share her expertise on business etiquette in China and forging effective business relationships. “It is important for those doing business with China to understand the profound impact of policy and culture on business,” she said. Her lecture examines Chinese governmental and cultural issues, introduces important dos and don’ts, and advises on how to develop an effective business strategy.

At BC since January, she has also co-taught business management and advertising classes in the past few months and participated in many campus activities. She will return to China in February, but throughout the coming year, Dr. Yi may accept other teaching assignments, will continue to participate in campus activities, and is available to provide guest lectures.

“I am grateful to be here and am really enjoying life at Bellevue College, and the natural environment. I am not homesick at all. The deans and faculty have been very helpful” she said.
Jody Laflen (Dean of iBIT), Virginia Bridwell (Dean of Social Science), Myra Van Vactor (Dean of Library and Media Services), and Nora Lance (Associate Director of Student Programs) took me shopping and even came to my house to show me how to cook here and helped stock my refrigerator! Also, many faculty members invited me to a barbeque, to go hiking or have dinner. They have all helped teach me about American life.”

Dr. Yi is an Associate Professor and serves as Associate Dean of the Department of Public Management at Donghua University. She has taught courses in Management Science, Etiquette Science, Government Performance Management, Business Administration and Secretarial Science. She has led many research projects, received several awards, and published scholarly articles and books in her area of expertise.

Dr. Yi holds her Ph.D. from Donghua University in Philosophy of Business Management with a concentration in Enterprises Crisis Management and a Master of Philosophy with a concentration in Philosophy of Science and Technology. Her Bachelor of Administrative Management is from Shanghai University.

Dr. Yi will use her experience at Bellevue College when she returns to China, to develop cooperative programs between universities in Shanghai and Bellevue College, and develop International Student Programs classes in Shanghai. “When I return to China I will be writing papers about the differences in atmosphere between American and Chinese classrooms and compare educational systems.”

– by Sharon Berg

Last Updated October 3, 2016