What is Ally?
Ally focuses on making digital course content more accessible. Ally is a tool that integrates into Canvas and works to support content creators ensure that the materials they are creating and using are accessible.
- When uploading content, Ally will scan the file and produce an accessibility score. This score is symbolized by a little gauge next to the document/image (on the Canvas page, the modules list, and in the Files list). The gauge will be red, yellow, or green depending on the score.
- The score and the color gauge is visible only to Instructors.
- When you click on the gauge explanation of the problem and guidance on fixing the problem appears.
- When you add a file to Canvas, Ally will produce alternative formats. To view/access those formats, you click on the little editing wheel.
- Currently, these are the available formats:
- Tagged PDF version
- HTML version
- ePub version
- Electronic braille version
- Students will see a drop-down selection of various accessible formats.
- Ally allows Canvas administrators to run institutional reports to monitor institution-wide accessibility improvement over time.
Last Updated February 8, 2023