Canvas provides an Conference/Online meeting tool via the “Big Blue Button” which is integrated inside Canvas. You do not need to integrate this tool, it is available for all Canvas users.
- Go to Course Settings
- From the Navigation tab, activate the Conferences tool.
Setting up the online conference:
- What are Conferences?
- How do I create a Conference?
- How do I create a long-running Conference?
- How do I delete a Conference?
- How do I edit a Conference?
- How do I record a Conference?
- How do I start a Conference?
- How do I use the Conference interface?
- How do I conclude a Conference?
- How do I share my desktop in the Conference interface?
- How do I add files to a Conference?
Conferences makes it easy to conduct synchronous (real-time) lectures for all of the students in your course. Conferences allows you to broadcast real-time audio, video, demo applications on your desktop, share presentation slides, or demo any online resources.
- A computer with a microphone for audio, a web camera for video and a headset with a microphone
- Adobe Flash Player maybe required to participate. Java needs to be installed on the presenter’s computer, if the presenter wishes to share their computer desktop.
- Some devices such as iPads and iPhones do not support Flash or Java.
Good to Know:
- Big Blue Button can accommodate approximately 50 users in a conference at one time.
- A conference will remain active on Big Blue Button as long as one person is part of the conference room.
- When the last person leaves, the conference will conclude and all files and chats will be removed.
- Conferences can be recorded so they can be viewed at a later date.
- Recordings are automatically deleted 14 days after the conference ends.
- Students can only view conferences to which they have been invited.
- Students cannot join a conference until you have started it. Be sure to connect any headset microphones prior to launching the conference.
- Once a conference has ended, it will be displayed in Concluded conferences.
- To share a PowerPoint file, save it as a PDF in PowerPoint first and then upload the PDF file (not the PowerPoint file) in the Conferences tool when presenting. Animations, fonts, and SmartArt in uploaded PowerPoint files will not display properly when uploaded in the Conferences tool.
- If the audio or webcam video is delayed, it depends on the user’s Internet service or connection (low bandwidth).
- Student Guide to Conferences
- How to Use Conferences in a Canvas Student Group.
- How to participate in a Conference.
Last Updated February 8, 2023