One of the navigation links in all Canvas courses is the syllabus link. Students know to click on this link to find the course syllabus. Although you may put your syllabus in a module, or upload it as a file to the course files area, it’s a good idea to include your syllabus in the syllabus page in Canvas because this page includes the course calendar and the course schedule. When all these items are gathered in a single location this can help your students stay organized.
Important Tip: Remember that the content in any two or more versions of your syllabus should match.
This resource shows you how to populate the syllabus page with the Bellevue College syllabus template using Cidi Labs. Once you have brought this template into your course, you can customize it as you see fit.
- Click on the “syllabus” link in the navigation area of your Canvas course.
2. Click on “edit.”
3. Launch the Design Tools interface by clicking on the rocket icon in the upper right-hand corner of the screen, or by using the short-cut keys Option-Shift-D on a Mac or Alt-Shift-D on a PC.
4. Choose “Create/Edit Syllabus Content” in the Design Tools editor.
5. Choose “Copy Existing Content.”
6. Under “Institutional Syllabus Templates” choose “Syllabus Template 1” from the dropdown menu. This is the Bellevue College accessible syllabus template.
7. Click on “update syllabus” at the bottom of the Canvas syllabus editor to save your changes.
- Click on “edit” on the syllabus page to open the rich content editor.
2. Launch the Design Tools interface by clicking on the rocket icon in the upper right-hand corner of the screen, or by using the short-cut keys Option-Shif-D on a Mac or Alt-Shift-D on a PC.
3. To add, delete, or move content blocks, click on the “Add Content Blocks” option in the Design Tools editor.
4. The current content blocks in the syllabus template will be listed. You can add additional content blocks by naming a new block in the “create new content block” field and clicking on the green plus icon. You can delete existing content blocks by clicking on the red x next to any content block name.
5. In the Add/Rearrange Content Blocks space you can move content blocks to a different location on the syllabus by clicking on the arrows can dragging the content block to a new space.
6. In the Add/Rearrange Syllabus Blocks space you can add or remove icons as well by clicking into the blank space before the content block title. This opens up the searchable icon library.
- Click on “Choose a Theme” in the “Create/Edit Syllabus Content” drop-down menu.
2. Hover over the different themes to see a pop-up view of that theme. Choose a theme.
3. Choose “Update Banner Text” in the “Create/Edit Syllabus Content” drop-down menu.
4. Add your course name and quarter and the section number and section into the text fields available.
5. Click on “Choose a Banner Image in the “Create/Edit Syllabus Content” drop-down menu.
6. Choose the banner image that you prefer. Keep in mind that some of the banner images may work better with some themes than others.
7. Update the syllabus page to save the new settings.
- From the syllabus link, click on edit to open the rich content editor for the syllabus.
2. Add your own information to the syllabus by clicking in the rich content editor at the spaces where you would like to add/edit/remove content.
3. Check your work, then save the syllabus by choosing “update the syllabus” at the bottom of the Canvas rich text editor.
Last Updated October 4, 2021