Education is the transmission of civilization.Ariel and Will Durant
IN THIS ISSUE
- CS Pillar Outage
- Grade Rosters are Available
- Workshops on Submitting Grades
- Grade Roster Overview
- Grade Roster FAQs
- Printing Grade Rosters
- Submitting Grades
- Changing Grades
- Changing Grades that Have Been Posted
- Need Additional Help?
Dec. 15 – 16 – Final Exam period
Dec. 16 – Fall Quarter ends
Dec. 20 – Fall Quarter grades due
Dec. 23-24 – College closed
Dec. 31 – College closed
Jan. 3 – Winter Quarter begins
CS PILLAR OUTAGE
There will be a Campus Solution Pillar outage of ctcLink on Saturday, Dec. 18 from 7 a.m. – 1 p.m. The outage is necessary in order to address critical system maintenance issues.
Note: Faculty will not be able to submit grades during this period.
GRADE ROSTERS ARE AVAILABLE
Fall Quarter grade rosters are available in the ctcLink Faculty Center. Log on at gateway.ctclink.us.
Faculty may make changes to their grade rosters up to Dec. 20. If grade changes need to be made after saving an Approved roster, change the status back to Not Reviewed. This will allow for the necessary grade changes.
Once the grade changes are complete, make certain to change the Approval Status back to Approved before saving. (In fact, remember to click Approved to save all entries.)
To report any difficulty with the process of entering grades or problems with the grading deadline, please reach out to the Faculty Advocates team.
WORKSHOPS ON SUBMITTING GRADES
The Faculty Advocates will conduct several walkthroughs on submitting grades on the day that grades are due.
- Thursday, Dec. 16: 11 – 11:30 a.m., 12 – 12:30 p.m., 2 – 2:30 p.m.
- Friday, Dec. 17: 12 – 12:30 p.m., 2 – 2:30 p.m.
- Monday, Dec. 20: 10 – 10:30 a.m., 12 – 12:30 p.m. and 2 –2:30 p.m.
Join here on ZOOM.
GRADE ROSTER OVERVIEW
The Grade Roster page in the Faculty Center application enables instructors to submit end-of-quarter final course grades.
A grade roster may be accessed by a Grade Roster icon on the My Schedule page or directly by a Grade Roster page link which is located on the left-side Faculty Center navigation bar.
GRADE ROSTER FAQS
Q: I see an Access Gradebook icon next to my Class Name. Is this the same as Grade Roster?
A: No. Gradebook allows faculty to grade course assignments. Colleges are not using this option. Faculty will continue using Canvas to manage course assignments. Use Grade Roster to enter and submit end-of-quarter grades.
Q: Am I able to enter and save draft grades before they are ready for final submittal?
A: Yes. After entering your draft grades, click Save then proceed to the Action Approval Status field dropdown box and make sure Not Reviewed is selected. If it isn’t, select it, then click Save again.
When ready to submit your grades, change the Not Reviewed option to Approve, then Save once more. This action will then post grades to the Registrar.
Q: How do I change a student’s grade after I have entered final grades, approved them for the course, and saved?
A: Faculty are unable to change grades on a roster with
an Approved status after they have been saved. However, faculty can change the status to Not Reviewed, then change the status to Approved once more and click Save before the grade post process runs.
Q: How do I know my grades were successfully approved and submitted?
A: Faculty can verify if grades were successfully approved by navigating to the Grade Roster; the Grade Roster Action Approval Status field will state Approved. If the roster has been posted, the word Posted next to the Approval Status field will be displayed.
Q: I’m missing students from my Grade Roster. Where are their names?
A: There are only 20 students listed per page. If there are more than two students on the Grade Roster, click the little arrow in the upper right-hand corner of the grade roster to get to the next page.
Q: I see I can post a Transcript Note. What information may I enter?
A: DO NOT ENTER ANYTHING IF YOU SEE THIS OPTION. It should already be disabled. It literally posts these notes directly on the student’s official transcript.
Q: Will I submit a Grade Change request in Grade Roster?
A: No. This option is currently disabled. Please consult the appropriate division office for the current grade change procedures.
Q: How can I review any “I” Incomplete grades or “Y” ongoing grades I issued from previous quarters?
A: In the Faculty Center application on the My Schedule page, click the Change Term button and select a previous quarter. Next to one of the course names, click on the Access Gradebook icon. It is the second icon from the left of the icons list next to each class title name. (Note: It will be the third icon from the left when Grade Rosters are available.)
On the Gradebook page, click on Requirement Designation which is the fourth item to the right of Go To row, just below the class information box. This will show a different view of your roster and will have an “I” or “Y” grade for any students who received one.
Q: What happened to my course(s) item numbers? They look very different in ctcLink.
A: The previous course item number is now called Class
Number and is five digits in length. NOTE: Please include a Class Number when asking for assistance with a class or grade roster issue.
PRINTING GRADE ROSTERS
Printing a grade roster isn’t difficult if you follow these instructions:
- Bring up the grade roster. All students and their submitted grades should be visible.
- In the upper lefthand corner, just above the Student Grade tab, locate a picture of a little grid with an arrow on it. Hovering over it offers the options to personalize, zoom, or download to Excel.
- Choose to download the data to Excel. Once done, the grade roster will be neatly organized in Excel.
When entering grades, instructors will need to click on the Grade Roster icon rather than the Access Gradebook icon or the name of the class (course detail).
When submitting grades, keep in mind the following tips:
- Use the Save button at the bottom of the Grade Roster page frequently.
- Ignore the Unsaved data message at the top of the Grade Roster page if the information has been saved.
- Make sure to click to the Next Page if a class is larger than 20 students in order to view the complete grade roster. Only 20 students can be displayed on the screen at a time.
- Once Approval Status is set to Approved and grades have been saved, they are saved.
- Instructors will not receive a message or checkmark in ctcLink (like they did in Instructor Briefcase) confirming that grades were successfully submitted.
- If the grading period is still open and a grade needs to be changed, modify the status to Not Reviewed, update the grade, change the status back to Approved, and then click Save.
The following guides cover the task of submitting grades in ctcLink:
- YouTube video (courtesy of Seattle College)
- Written instructions with images (courtesy of Seattle College – grading will look slightly different for BC, allowing instructors to choose letter grades)
- Video and written instructions with images from the Faculty Self-Service SBCTC Canvas training course (enter a Canvas login and password to open this link)
- Written instructions with images from the SBCTC Reference Center.
CHANGING GRADES THAT HAVE BEEN POSTED
If there is a message on the Grade Roster that grades are “Posted,” you can no longer change grades by changing the Approval Status to “Not Reviewed”. Instead, use this form to request a grade change.
NEED ADDITIONAL HELP?
If you have questions or need help, there are a number of ways to get support:
- Visit the ctcLink Faculty website. The Faculty: “How Do I?” page features directions to a variety of tasks related to ctcLink. The Faculty Important Events page offers times for live info sessions and workshops.
- Search for an answer to your question on the ctcLink Reference Center.
- If you forgot your ctcLink ID: use the ctcLink ID lookup tool.
- Submit a ticket.
- For HR questions: choose Human Resources.
- For Finance questions (e.g., Travel and Expense vouchers): choose Finance.
- For Faculty-related general support: choose ctcLink, then Faculty: General Support.
- Click here to join the Faculty Advocate virtual support room.
- Wednesday, Dec. 15: 1 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Thursday, Dec. 16: 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Friday, Dec. 17: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 19: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Monday, Dec. 20: 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Email the Faculty Advocates team at: email@example.com
Need more information on ctcLink? It can be found on our website.
If you have questions, please email your faculty advocates. And if you have suggestions on improving this email, we would enjoy hearing from you. Contact Yves Martin, Communications Manager, at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Updated December 20, 2021