AHEA 104 Introduction to Billing and Coding • 5 Cr.
Introduces Medical Billing & Coding procedures including insurance coverage, terminology, payment systems, legal and ethical issues, healthcare compliance, and collections, and common coding systems such as ICD and CPT. Prerequisite: Placement by assessment into ENGL& 101, or completion of ENGL 092 or 093 with a C or better. Successful completion of AHE 100, 110, 120, 130, 140, HLTH 145 and BTS 161 with a C or better at BC; or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Define terminology, abbreviations, coding systems, and billing structures related to medical billing & coding
- Define and apply concepts of ethical billing & coding practice
- Use common billing & coding systems
- Apply basic coding procedures to common billing situations
- Apply communication strategies to interact with insurance companies, patients and providers
- Fall 2014 (current quarter)