AHEL 118 Phlebotomy Practicum • 5 Cr.
Provides practical experience in the role of the phlebotomy technician. Prerequisite: Completion of both AHEL110 and AHEL112 at BC with a C or better and permission of instructor, with no more than one quarter between completion of AHEL112 and enrollment in AHEL118. Previously HPRO 144. Either HPRO 144 or AHEL 118 may be taken for credit, but not both.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Apply the knowledge of medical laboratory policy and procedures through orientation at clinical facility.
- Perform 100 or more successful venipunctures.
- Perform or observe capillary punctures.
- Describe proper arterial blood collection techniques by observing arterial punctures.
- Complete ASCP requirement of orientation to a CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act) regulated full-service laboratory.
- Complete accurate documentation of clinical rolls and procedures at a clinical facility.
- Summer 2014 (current quarter)