ELIUP 069 TOEFL Preparation • 4.5 Cr.
Students improve their test-taking skills, practice taking the TOEFL, and improve their listening comprehension, structure, and reading skills by focusing on specific TOEFL-type exercises. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the ELI program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify and use effective listening skills such as listening for key words and idioms, time expressions, main ideas, negative expressions
- Differentiate nuances, implications, inferences in longer conversations and short lectures
- Correctly use grammatical structures
- Perform accurate reading skills including vocabulary in context, skimming and scanning, making inferences from a passage, recognizing attitude and tone, identifying details and main ideas
- Apply TOEFL test taking skills such as following directions, using time wisely, and using effective guessing techniques