ENGL 228 Historical Perspectives in Literature I • 5 Cr.
Explores major themes and ideas found in the literature of a specific historical period. Selected literature will promote historical, cultural and philosophical understanding of the material on its own terms and in relation to a larger body of literature. Prerequisite: ENGL& 101 and any 100 level literature course recommended.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Common Course Numbering changed course from ENGL 224 to ENGL 228
- Demonstrate an awareness of a cultural attitudes, social/political forces, philosophical attitudes presented in the literature from a particular historical period.
- Demonstrate an awareness of varying points of view within this historical period, including those presented by women and other minority voices whenever possible
- Identify major themes and ideas
- Recognize how style relates to content in various writers’ works
- Apply the analytical process to literary works
- Apply writing skills to analyzing literature