JAPN& 122 Japanese II • 5 Cr.
Continues JAPN& 121. Continues to develop listening, speaking, and reading and writing skills of Japanese. Some basic kanji characters and relevant aspects of Japanese culture are introduced. Prerequisite: JAPN& 121 permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Use and comprehend common conversational phrases in more advanced personal interactions (e.g. suggesting a plan of action, making requests, offering assistance, asking for and granting or denying permission, etc.).
- Recognize and use the informal speech style for casual conversations with close friends.
- Comprehend and use a wider variety of adjectives in their proper forms to describe things appropriately.
- Describe continuous action and resultant states.
- Speak/write about oneself (marital status, employment, home, what one is good or poor at, etc.), and understand others’ conversations about themselves and their family members - including understanding the distinctions in vocabulary and politeness levels when describing one’s own family members vs. others’ family members.
- Read up to 90 kanji characters.
- Recognize the distinctions between kanji characters and the characters of the two phonetic kana syllabaries and know how and when each should be used in modern Japanese.