JAPN& 123 Japanese III • 5 Cr.
Continues JAPN& 122. Continues to develop listening, speaking, and reading and writing skills of Japanese. More basic kanji characters and relevant aspects of Japanese culture are introduced. Prerequisite: JAPN& 122 or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Learn 60 additional kanji characters
- Read and write both informal and formal-style passages about current, future and past states and activities using more complex nominal, verbal and adjectival phrases with correct particles and tenses
- Use and comprehend basic conversational phrases in more detailed personal interactions (such as expressing opinions, comparisons, explaining physical/emotional states, etc.)
- Continue to use more complex sentence structures including complement clauses (such as quotations), relative clauses (such as modifying nouns) and subordinate clauses (such as giving reasons)
- Recognize and use the informal speech style (in both present/future and past tenses) for casual conversations with close friends
- Continue to expand understanding of the effects of social context on the spoken language, which is reflected in the appropriate choices of vocabulary, grammatical forms and expressions