JAPN& 222 Japanese V • 5 Cr.
Continues JAPN& 221. Students practice listening, speaking, reading and writing in integrated activities relating to a main theme. More kanji and relevant aspects of Japanese culture are introduced. Prerequisite: JAPN& 221 or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Speak appropriately in and comprehend more advanced conversational situations (e.g. giving and receiving favors, apologizing, expressing regret, reporting information you obtained “second hand” (by hearing or reading), describing an event before or after something happens, etc.).
- Comprehend and be able to use a wider variety of vocabulary (nouns, verbs and adjectives) in their proper forms.
- Use more complex sentence structures (e.g., embedded questions, transitive and intransitive verbs, conditional and temporal clauses, etc.).
- Recognize more complicated social contexts and understand how these affect the spoken language.
- Use honorific and humble expressions as appropriate to the social context.
- Read ~50~80 additional kanji characters.
- Know and be able to use appropriately the multiple meanings and multiple pronunciations of each kanji character.