MUSC 106 Jazz Band • 3 Cr.
Offers performance opportunities for instrumentalists within the Stage Band instrumentation. The Jazz Band focuses on jazz improvisation, performance, and interpretation of Big Band jazz literature. Students audition for available chairs. May be repeated for a maximum of 9 credits. Prerequisite: Prior enrollment in MUSC 106 or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Successfully audition for an available chair in the BCC Jazz Band within the Sax, Trumpet, Trombone, Piano, Bass, Drums, Guitar instrumentation.
- Sight-read new works with attention to proper articulation, phrasing, breath support, intonation, and balance within their section and blend within the band.
- Improve their playing skills by outside practice and assigned sectionals on selected pieces.
- Discern the differences between the many sub-forms in the jazz idiom and perform in a stylistically correct manner for that genre.
- Improve their improvisation skills by in-class and outside practice on chord changes, scales, articulation, range, and other considerations.
- Perform with the band in concert with nationally-known jazz artists, as well as with area high schools, both on- and of-campus.
- Tour nationally or internationally with the group as set by the group director.
- Perform in a uniform deemed appropriate and representative of BCC as selected by the group.
- Play at a level of performance that is as close to perfection or "professional" level as is possible.