Eligible Undocumented


A Washington law determines whether students can be considered residents of Washington eligible to pay in-state resident tuition rates at public institutions (RCW 28B.15.012). This law was revised in 2003 to allow certain students attending public colleges and universities to be eligible for resident student tuition rates.  In 2014, House Bill 6523 – the Real Hope Act was passed. The state’s financial aid law was amended so that these students are eligible to be considered for need-based state aid (State Need Grant) if they are attending either public or participating private colleges in Washington (RCW28B.92.101). For information on eligibility and the application process for State Need Grant, please visit  www.readysetgrad.org/wasfa.

To qualify for resident tuition status and/or State Need Grant eligibility, students must complete a affidavit/declaration/certification if they have met the following conditions:

  • Resided in Washington State for three (3) years immediately prior to receiving  a high school diploma, and completed the full senior year at a Washington high school; OR
  • Completed the equivalent of a high school diploma and resided in Washington State for the three (3) years immediately before receiving the equivalent diploma (GED) AND
  • Continuously resided in Washington State since earning the high school diploma or its equivalent (GED).

If you are eligible, please print and complete the HB1079 affidavit/declaration/certification from the link below.

Note to the student: Please submit the original of the completed and signed affidavit to the residency office. E-mailed or faxed forms, or forms without an original signature, are not acceptable.

DEADLINE: The completed affidavit and supporting documents will be accepted up to the 30th calendar day of the quarter for which application is made. The deadline to submit documents for winter quarter 2015 is February 3, 2015.  Documentation received after the 30th day will be considered for the following quarter. Students are not refunded for previous quarters attended prior to submitting documents.

Frequently Asked Questions

What does it mean to be undocumented?

An undocumented person is a non-citizen who entered the U. S. without legal immigration status or who stayed after the period he/she was authorized to be here.

What is DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals)?

On June 15, 2012, the Secretary of Homeland Security announced that immigrants who arrive to the United States as children and meet several key guidelines may request consideration of deferred action for a period of two years, subject to renewal, and would then be eligible for work authorization. Deferred action is discretionary determination to prevent removal action of an individual as an act of prosecutorial discretion. Deferred action does not provide an individual with lawful status.  You may learn more about Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), and helpful resources and services to support undocumented students and DACA applicants at:  US Center for Immigration Services (USCIS) DACA Pageand  http://www.bellevuecollege.edu/enrollment/admissions/daca/default.asp

I have Deferred Action status. Can I pay resident tuition?

Washington State has no provision at this time for deferred action students to pay tuition at the resident rate. Students who meet the conditions of HB1079 may pay resident tuition.

If I am undocumented, can I apply for financial aid?

As an undocumented student, you are not eligible for federal financial aid (FAFSA).  However, in 2014 the state’s financial aid law was amended so that undocumented students may be considered for need-based state aid (State Need Grant). For information on eligibility and the application process for State Need Grant, please visit  www.readysetgrad.org/wasfa. 

Where can I find out about scholarships for undocumented students?

There are several places where you can find scholarship lists that do not require you to be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident, and that do not ask for a social security number. The following websites include scholarship lists: www.maldef.org , www.salef.org, www.fastweb.com,