DRMA 241 Playwriting II • 5 Cr.
More advanced work in the art and craft of writing plays. Students will work on at least 20 pages of a one act or full length play. Through written exercises, readings and discussions, students will share their work and actively participate in a workshop process for the playwright. Prerequisite: DRMA 141 or permission of instructor. Recommended: P lacement in ENGL& 101.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- • Apply understanding of a variety of genres by writing within a number of theatrical structures
- • Synthesize a deeper understanding of pacing and rhythm in plays and scenes
- • Create believable characters through dialogue, relationship and super objective
- • Analyze words, scenes, plots and themes for sustained tension
- • Critique, revise, and edit works in progress including work on a full length play
- Critically evaluate a live play using the skills and tools of the playwright.