ECED& 107 Health, Safety, and Nutrition • 5 Cr.
Develop knowledge and skills to ensure good health, nutrition, and safety of children in group care and education programs. Recognize the signs of abuse and neglect, responsibilities for mandated reporting, and available community resources. Previously ECED 204. Either ECED 204 or ECED& 107 may be taken for credit, but not both.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe appropriate policies to prevent illness in childcare settings, schools, and other programs.
- Describe appropriate safety policies that prevent and minimize accidents for both indoor and outdoor environments.
- Demonstrate skills in emergency first aid, food service, routine health and safety practices, and mandated reporting.
- Describe the role of nutrition as it relates to development, licensing regulations for childcare, and government food programs.
- Create developmentally appropriate health, safety, and nutrition education materials and activities.
- Identify common indicators of illnesses/ infectious diseases and state appropriate steps to be followed.
- Develop strategies for working with families in accessing and utilizing health, nutritional, and dental services.
- Winter 2014 (current quarter)