ELIUP 061 Integrated Skills IV • 4.5 Cr.
Course emphasizes academic writing skills, including formal instruction in sentence level expression (grammar). Assigned writing tasks are varied with an emphasis on timed writing and revision. Course is linked with ELIUP 062. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the ELI program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate and apply the process of writing an essay from generating ideas through draft writing and revision to producing a final, polished essay
- Understand and produce the rhetorical modes of process, comparison/contrast, and cause/effect
- Produce an accurate paraphrase
- Produce an accurate summary
- Develop ideas in paragraph form in correct response to questions based on a reading
- Produce accurate, clear and succinct sentence answers to test questions
- Demonstrate understanding of the purpose, form, and content of introductory and concluding paragraphs in an essay
- Develop ideas with substance and coherence using details and examples, facts, opinions, and anecdotes to support the thesis
- Write thesis statements that are complete and clear and give the essay focus
- Write topic sentences that give each paragraph clear and appropriate focus
- Demonstrate and apply knowledge of sentence variety
- Incorporate editing and proofreading skills into the writing process