ELIUP 087 English Through Technology • 4.5 Cr.
Designed to improve ESL students' English speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills with the aid of technology, multimedia tools, and discussions related to technology. Includes activities using the internet, social media, blogs, digital photography, digital voice recording, podcasting, digital storytelling, digital video production, discussions and readings on current technology trends. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the ELI program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Produce an online podcast
- Write and update an online blog
- Construct a digital story using multimedia tools
- Use Web-based ESL learning software and Web sites to practice and improve English
- Use multimedia tools to engage the campus and larger community in real-world English contexts
- Summarize and discuss articles related to current trends in technology
- Give presentations on topics related to technology
- Research, evaluate and create Web sites for class activities
- Evaluate and critique Web based multimedia
- Explain issues regarding digital privacy, copyright, and security
- Analyze the pros and cons of using technology
- Give examples of how technology is being used to bring about social change
- Generate a multimedia project that educates others