GERM& 222 German V • 5 Cr.
Continues GERM& 221. Prerequisite: GERM& 221 or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding of target language spoken by native and non-native speakers who are fluent in the language, as well as by students. At the 222 and 223 levels, students will be able to demonstrate comprehension of authentic speech produced at a more rapid rate, and containing more idiomatic expressions.
- Demonstrate understanding of TV news broadcasts, given a context, some vocabulary clues, and some background information in advance. This would apply to their ability to demonstrate understanding of other video, such as feature films in the target language.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate orally expressing themselves more fully than they have been able to do in the past, producing appropriate vocabulary in the target language and sentences in the present, past, and future and conditional tenses, as well as in the subjunctive for the 222 and 223 levels.
- Demonstrate ability to repeat in their own words the opinion of a speaker target after reading authentic material or viewing authentic footage by using the indirect speech in German.
- Demonstrate the ability to understand material written in the target language including grammar texts, excerpts of literature in the target language, authentic magazines, written work produced by students. Demonstrate their knowledge of reading strategies such as cognates and using the dictionary correctly.
- Demonstrate their ability to produce written material using correct grammar, producing short compositions that are comprehensible to native speakers and are well organized using increasingly more sophisticated vocabulary, conjunctions and subordinate clauses. Demonstrate their ability to use a dictionary appropriately to find the correct term to describe what they want to communicate.
- Demonstrate their ability to evaluate and edit German texts of questionable correctness, such as material from a website, translation websites in particular, as well as work produced by their peers.