HCTM 470 Healthcare Data Analytics Applications • 5 Cr.
Students analyze strategies, benefits and limitations of data analytics in various healthcare environments. In the context of case studies, they evaluate, select and apply analytics tools and methods to develop meaningful information in support of key clinical, operational and financial decisions. Current and emerging analytics practices and metrics are discussed. Prerequisite: Acceptance into program and completion of HCTM 450 with a C or above, or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Research and evaluate available statistical software packages to support data analytics.
- Evaluate trends in technologies, strategies and current practices for data gathering, analysis and reporting in healthcare settings.
- Develop appropriate metrics and processes to obtain data supporting clinical, operational and financial decisions, and analyze their potential impacts on the healthcare organization.
- Analyze different practices for making analytics-based decisions in healthcare.
- Discuss issues that relate to accuracy, integration and completeness of data sets.
- Identify, evaluate and apply appropriate tools and techniques to analyze a given data set for specific outcomes.
- Develop reports and presentations summarizing analytics results for stakeholders with varied backgrounds and expertise.
- Design a research strategy to solve a particular problem for a particular stakeholder.
- Analyze the various elements of data analytics implementation and management plans for specific outcomes.
- Create visual representations of data that convey information clearly and effectively