SOC 260 Death and Dying • 5 Cr.
What happens to your physical body when you die? Who decides what happens? Critically examine the social history and the business of death and dying in America as it has changed over time. Topics may include death in popular culture, the business of death, and the employment that death provides.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe the general sociological concepts and ideas from the area of Death and Dying;
- Examine death and dying from a sociological perspective;
- Discuss the basic socioeconomic history of death and dying in America;
- Analyze the impact of death and dying on our private and public lives;
- Utilize a Cultural Sociological approach to inquiries about death and dying; and
- Critically analyze the field of the Sociology of Death, its history and its future.
- Winter 2014 (current quarter)