ART 240 Oil Painting • 5 Cr.
Introduces color theory and techniques for working in oils. Students learn modeling in light and shade composition. Includes six hours of lecture and lab, with additional time required outside class.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- understand and demonstrate competent color mixing from a limited palette and the principles of color theory
- understand and employ a basic knowledge of paint application techniques
- understand and illustrate a basic knowledge of media manipulation regarding paints and companion materials
- understand and illustrate basic formal concerns in painting; composition, shape, value, space, texture
- understand a basic historical perspective regarding painting throughout Art History
- understand and demonstrate objective critique process regarding painting