BIOL& 213 Biology Majors Plant or Cellular or Animal • 6 Cr.
Class title change starting Summer 2016
Biology Majors Plant • 6 Cr.
Third in a three-course sequence for science majors and pre-professional students. Topics include plant anatomy, physiology, evolution, and ecology. Prerequisite: BIOL& 211.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Differentiate between organisms representing the different lineages of life and between major groups within those lineages, with a focus on photosynthetic organisms.
- Describe the diverse adaptations and ecological roles of organisms within each group, including the functional significance of differences in anatomy and morphology with regard to growth, nutrition and dispersal.
- Explain the basic principles of ecology; including population, community, ecosystem and conservation ecology.
- Explain how human activities alter existing biodiversity and impact evolutionary and ecological processes.
- Analyze and interpret experimental results to reinforce biological principles.