BIOL 150 Marine Biology • 6 Cr.
Introduction to marine life, marine biological communities, and marine ecology. Course includes lecture, labs, and field trips. Fulfills laboratory science course requirement at BC.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe the components of marine communities, and the physical and biological factors that shape their composition.
- Explain basic ecological principles e.g. energy flow, population dynamics, nutrient cycles.
- List the characteristics of major groups of marine organisms e.g. algae, cyanobacteria, fishes, invertebrates.
- Classify marine life into the appropriate taxonomic groups.
- Explain how humans use biological ocean resources.