BUSIT 103 SQL Fundamentals • 5 Cr.
Students learn the fundamentals of database structure and SQL (Structured Query Language). They learn techniques useful for querying databases and they learn to apply their skills in realistic scenarios extracting data and organizing it into meaningful information. Students gain experience with database servers and client tools. Recommended: Familiarity with spreadsheets or databases. Recommended: Familiarity with spreadsheets or databases.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Explain the structure of tables and the function of keys in a relational database.
- Use diagrams to show how tables in a relational database relate to one another.
- Interpret business information requests to produce accurate SQL statements.
- Construct SQL queries to retrieve data from one or more tables in a database.
- Produce SQL queries using logical operators, complex expressions, filters.
- Develop subqueries to extend functionality to SQL statements.
- Prepare and export data from a database into a spreadsheet application.