CHIN& 122 Chinese II • 5 Cr.
Introduces functional language ability in spoken and written Chinese. Continues elements of Chinese culture. Students practice sounds and tones, vocabulary, and grammatical constructions, practice pronunciation and Chinese characters writing and use Chinese in authentic situations. Recommended: CHIN& 121, one year of High School or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify thirty descriptive words.
- Write Chinese character equivalents of those descriptive words.
- Summarize with few errors a short passage on an everyday topic.
- Present a two minute speech about their town in Chinese with few errors.
- Comprehend a passage written in Chinese characters about someone’s hometown.
- Use a Chinese word processor to write a passage about a hometown that has fewer than four errors.
- Compose a calligraphic work in semi-cursive form applying traditional aesthetic principles.