CHIN& 221 CHINESE IV • 5 Cr.
Reviews and expands basic, first-year Chinese skills. Increases understanding of Chinese grammar, expand vocabulary, and improves productive and receptive language skills within a cultural context. Includes both traditional and simplified characters. Increases understanding of Chinese culture. Recommended: CHIN& 123 or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Engage in conversations about college life.
- Acquired enough vocabulary and expressions to talk about the first day of school, moving into the dormitory, eating out at restaurants, shopping, selecting courses in college, and renting a place to live.
- Demonstrate understanding of existential sentences, reduplication of verbs, resultative complements, directional complements, and various other grammatical patterns.
- Demonstrate understanding of Chinese word order issues beyond those introduced in the first year.
- Participate in group discussions and other types of oral projects.
- Recognize 300 new characters that make up at least 500 compounded new words.
- Read short stories that have simple sentence structures.
- Write short essays with characters, phonetic symbols or both on various topics.