CJ 202 PRIN OF CRIMINAL INVEST • 5 Cr.
Presents fundamental investigative techniques used within the criminal justice system. Topics include discovery, preservation, and presentation of evidence, methods of obtaining information and developing sources, and functions of a criminal laboratory.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Conduct a basic crime scene investigation within the parameters set forth in the United States Constitution and the Washington State Constitution.
- Identify and gather evidence relevant to a criminal investigation.
- Use basic interrogation and interviewing techniques.
- Maintain the chain of custody for evidence that will meet legal requirements.
- Apply inductive and deductive reasoning to evidence in order to reconstruct the crime scene.
- Use the appropriate vocabulary for criminal investigations.