CMST 121 Exploring the Documentary Film • 5 Cr.
Examines the theory, practice, history and ethics of documentary film making.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of documentary film principles.
- Demonstrate and understanding of the documentary film production process in all its phases--pre-production, production and post-production.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the origins and landmarks of documentary film.
- Identify the difference between cinema verite and narrative and advocacy documentaries.
- Apply critical analysis skills in order to evaluate the effectiveness of documentary films.
- Critically analyze the aesthetics and effectiveness of a given documentary.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the technical requirements needed to produce a professional documentary.