CMST 133 Media Aesthetics • 5 Cr.
Gives insight into media aesthetics through the study of production techniques. Students develop interpretive skills by analyzing lighting, editing, color, sound, and interactivity. Class format includes lectures, media clips, and guest speakers.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Analyze the origin, impact, and meanings of visual media messages as they relate to us and our culture.
- Describe how a story's author, content, audience, and media work in concert to convey a given message's goal.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the production techniques utilized to create media images and messages
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of film and digital editing to define the pace and flow of a given production and its visual message.
- Describe and explain how mood and message can be affected by the use of light, shadow, and color.
- Define a variety of terms including montage, cameo lighting, jump cut and accelerated motion.
- Spring 2014 (current quarter)