CMST 250 Organizational Communication • 5 Cr.
Applies communication concepts and theory to an organizational setting. Covers interpersonal communication in a culturally diverse workplace, teamwork and meeting effectiveness, electronic communication, conflict management, managerial effectiveness and organizational culture. Recommended: Placement in ENGL& 101, or higher.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- After completing this class, students should be able to:
- • Identify their own cultural identity and discuss its influence on workplace expectations and interactions
- • Identify the types of language which would be culturally appropriate for a given workplace.
- • Describe cultural differences and similarities in nonverbal norms and expectations for workplace behavior
- • Describe how communication networks, organization structure, organizational culture, and power dynamics influence interaction.
- • Describe culturally appropriate listening approaches in a given situation to promote understanding, accomplish your goals, and enhance your relationship with others.
- • Apply leadership theory and concepts to improve managerial effectiveness.
- • Describe different approaches for negotiating solutions in work-related conflicts.
- • Identify the types of group roles, norms, and decision-making required to transform a diverse group of people into an effective team.