CMST 250 Organizational Communication • 5 Cr.
Applies communication concepts and theory to an organizational setting. Covers interpersonal communication in a culturally diverse workplace, teamwork and meeting effectiveness, electronic communication, conflict management, managerial effectiveness and organizational culture. Recommended: Placement in ENGL& 101 or higher.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- 1. Identify the types of language and nonverbal communication that will be most effective within a specific organizational culture.
- 2. Describe how communication networks, organization structure, and organizational culture influence interaction.
- 3. Describe the characteristics of effective electronic workplace communication.
- 4. Identify the influence of intercultural communication on workplace interaction.
- 5. Describe the best listening approaches in a given situation to promote understanding, accomplish your goals, and enhance your relationship with others.
- 6. Apply leadership theory and concepts to improve managerial effectiveness.
- 7. Describe different approaches for negotiating solutions in work-related conflicts and predict likely consequences of using each style.
- 8. Identify the types of group roles, norms, and decision-making required to transform a group of people into an effective team.